Spotted Harrier at last

For years I have enjoyed watching this stunning bird of prey fly low across the country paddocks and grass fields.  I have witnessed it pick up baby rabbits and watched it perch on a fence post right in front of me when I am without my camera.  This same bird I believe travels quite some distance and it has visited our patch which is close-by to where I saw it today many times.  As I didn't take these photos at our place, I have added them to the beyond blog.  This bird that moves quickly and has never let me take a decent photo, has become known as my nemesis, however I delight in seeing it regularly.  On this day, it perched long enough on the fence for me to take a couple of poor photos on my little handbag camera while stopped on the side of the road.  I am thrilled to confirm that it is in fact a Spotted Harrier (which I always suspected it was) but up until now I hadn't been confident to identify it as that.  Poor photos I know, but I had to add them in any case!  J

Spotted Harrier

Spotted Harrier

Comments

  1. Awesome shots of this cool Spotted Harrier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen - I just love this bird - saw it again twice last week!

      Delete
  2. Wow, nice and close! I have never seen one perched, only hunting. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John, yes I mostly see this one hunting in the air, however you wouldn't believe the amount of times I have seen it land on a fence post or on top of a small shrub when I didn't have a camera!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a message on Beyond Our Patch, it is greatly appreciated. If you would like to see more posts from this blog, Please click the Follower Button. Thankyou :)